Sunday, August 15, 2010

Design book - market bag

I have a couple of old totes I use on free days out: to the library, run errands, buy groceries, etc.  I prefer them to the reusable shopping bags, because I can throw 10 library books in there easily.  I've even taken my (trader joe's) reusable grocery bags and folded them up in there.

The point:  I want new ones!  Pretty bags that I didn't paint in the 3rd grade.  For about a month now I've been sewing in the back of my mind.  I want one continuous piece for the lining, for strength.  I want the outside to be diagonal stripes of fabrics.  Pretties.

This leads me to 2 boxes of fat quarters and scraps.  There's some nice stuff in there.  I've pretty much settled on a pair of fabrics: prints of warm neutrals with some gold sparkle.  One fabric is a medium-sized floral leaning towards cream-colored overall when you squint and the other is 3 inch cats looking overall brownish.

BUT

I have a creativity problem.  I wake up with Crazy Ideas and write them out and throw them in a (very pretty) zip-up 3 ring binder.  I need love before I dive in and finish it.  I hate starting and leaving it UFOed in the closet because it didn't pass muster.  I've taken to waiting for love first.  This means that I can write out a pattern that suits my NEEDS but can't start it until it's pretty high on my list of wants. :D

I post today to share the love!

The Love: I found a fabric store on the way back from a job interview(still don't know how that went).  35th Ave Sew and Vac.  I didn't want to buy anything.  Promise.  I left my purse in the car.  But I took my wallet and keys with me. haha!  You walk in to room of sewing machines.  To your left: another room, larger, this is the Vac part of your journey.  But straight ahead!  Through the sewing machine room... fabric.  I put my wallet in my pocket.

Blah Blah Blah... I'm sure you can guess what happened next.  I found my fabrics for my future market bags!  They had 6 shelves of Asian prints, I tried to ignore it.  Plum blossoms! I've never felt so weak.  I put them back.  But on the last shelf: someone else was just as weak to fabric as I was but left them.  These chrysanthemums had been moved next to this kanji print and abandoned.  I think they will be very happy with me.  You only need quarter yards for quite a large bag, but I got 2 half yards.  That's Love.  You can't tell in my (excited) blurry picture, but the green has little gold leaves occasionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment